You Are Here: Home » Community » Lifestyle » Automotive

ON THE DRIVE – 2015 HYUNDAI SONATA

BY FRANK S. WASHINGTON NNPA COLUMNIST The Sonata is Hyundai’s second best-selling model and that is by a silvery thin 2 percentage points. So whenever the Korean automaker changes the car it is done with great care and great planning. For the 2015 model year, Hyundai wants to broaden the Sonata’s customer base and bring it in line as the automaker moves to a more familial appearance for all of its vehicles. ...

Read more

About that Car: 2015 Chrysler 200

By Frank S. Washington NNPA Columnist LOUISVILLE, Ky. – In a darkened hall with scores of people in front and up on a stage at the Detroit auto show, the 2015 Chrysler 200 looked almost the same as the car it will replace when it goes on sale this spring. Eh, no, not by a long shot. Here, on the banks of the Ohio River, it was obvious that the new Chrysler 200 looked nothing like the old Chrysler 200. The c ...

Read more

About That Car: ROLLS ROYCE WRAITH

2014 Rolls-Royce Wraith By Frank S. Washington PHOENIX – No cars, no dealers, no factory, no nothing; it is a convoluted story but that’s what BMW started with when it acquired the full rights to Rolls-Royce in 1998. The first car on BMW’s watch didn’t roll off the newly built assembly line at Goodwood, England, until 2003. But since the introduction of the Roll-Royce Phantom, the company added five more mo ...

Read more

ABOUT THAT CAR

By Frank S. Washington DETROIT – The Hyundai Elantra makes you ask is the glass half empty or half full. For the road test, we had the 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE. The car had not one option, thus the price was a very affordable $20,615. And to answer the question posed earlier, the glass is half full – well actually it is full. The only downside of the car; it was nowhere near as fast as it looked. There ...

Read more

2013 Ford Fusion

By Frank S. Washington Santa Monica, Calif., -- Four out of five cars sold in the U.S. last year were midsize sedans. And Ford is making a serious push to get a bigger slice of that market which is expected to grow even larger. The Fusion is a global car. Ford will produce it and its sister model, the Mondeo, in Flat Rock, Mich.; Hermosillo, Mexico; Genk, Belgium; Russia and China. We came here to test driv ...

Read more

Companies Continue To Insult Black Consumers

By George E. Curry NNPA Columnist When I was in the process of reading and writing about Nielsen and the National Newspaper Publishers Association’s report on African-American buying power for this week’s Black newspapers, I was reminded of how many top companies continue to take advantage of Black consumers while providing little, if anything, in return. They are not the only ones at fault – so are we. Peo ...

Read more

Buick Verano

By Frank S. Washington DETROIT – A 2012 Buick Verano was delivered to me on a Friday and I was headed down Interstate 75 to Toledo on Saturday. My point is that I got a chance to test drive Buick’s entry level sedan in several traffic environments. I had a full load. Two 11-year-olds and a four-year-old occupied the back seats and the mother of one my backseat passengers was in the front.  Although all of t ...

Read more

Volvo Polestar Performance

By Frank S. Washington Phoenix, AZ – We came here to test drive several new Volvos. They had been tweaked a little with more horsepower and torque and some adjustments to the steering and the suspensions. But to me this program was really about Volvo staying in position. For years, Volvo has enjoyed rarified air. It was niche above most mere mortal automotive machines and just beneath the vaunted German lux ...

Read more

Don’t Be Scammed by Unscrupulous Car Dealer

By Charlene Crowell NNPA Columnist   The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) convened a series of forums last year that explored abusive auto lending practices. The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL), a participant in those roundtables, has issued a new research report on deceitful practices that take advantage of unsuspecting customers. The report, Deal or No Deal: How Yo-Yo Scams Rig the Game against Ca ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Our weather forecast is from WP Wunderground

Scroll to top