You Are Here: Home » Community » Lifestyle » Religion

THE RELIGION CORNER: The District of Columbia Without Marion Barry

By Lyndia Grant Special to the NNPA  from The Washington Informer   My sister, Ernestine Grant, texted me from Kinston, North Carolina, the other day. “How do you define D.C. without Marion Barry?” she wanted to know. I have been wondering the same thing. Sunday, Nov. 23, 2014 will go down in history as the day the District of Columbia lost its most beloved leader, Marion Barry, the city’s “Mayor for L ...

Read more

My Family Tree Does Not Determine My Fruit

By Pastor E.A. Deckard Special to the NNPA  from The houston forward-times   Forward Thinkers, this past weekend I was honored to speak at the Annual Black Male Summit at Lone Star College. Forward Thinkers, I opened up my presentation with a very vivid illustration that I want to share with my Forward Thinking community on today. Forward Thinkers, I had several African American teenager boys come up a ...

Read more

No Limits

By: James Washington Special to The NNPA From the Dallas Weekly       No Limits You know, it has been several years since I started writing this column and it has evolved into being a great source of humility and spiritual guidance for me. The blessing of this kind of service opportunity in the name of my Lord and savior Jesus Christ is certainly understood and appreciated by me and I hope, a ...

Read more

Get Out of Your Own Way

By: Pastor E.A. Deckard Special To The NNPA “In the story of Ugly Duckling, when did the Ugly Duckling stop feeling Ugly? When he realized that he was a Swan. Each of us has something Special, a swan of some sort, hidden inside somewhere. But until we recognize that it’s there, what can we do but splash around, treading water? The Wise are Who They Are. They work with what they’ve got and do what they can d ...

Read more

Are You Wasting Time?

By:Lyndia Grant Special to NNPA The lyrics from an Otis Redding song titled “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay” resonated within my spirit this week. When that happens, I can assure you it’s the Lord leading, guiding and inspiring me for my upcoming column. Let’s talk about how so many of us are complacent, just watching the tide roll in and out, wasting time. We have no plans, nothing ever changes, we’re just ...

Read more

Age Well, Please

By: James Washington Special to NNPA   As someone who has come to Christ as a mature adult, I’m challenged from time to time as ministers and bible study leaders and others of faith talk about the process of becoming a mature Christian. The challenge is in knowing what it means to mature as a person and applying some of those same principles to the maturation process as they relate to faith and knowled ...

Read more

Have, Do & Be Whatever You Want

Have, Do & Be Whatever You Want Thoughts are extremely powerful. You can think yourself into becoming whomever you wish, or you can think yourself into the failure you continue to keenly visualize in your mind’s eye. When you begin to think that something good is happening in your life yet don’t really believe it, it’s a total waste of time. It’s called faith! “Now, faith is the substance of things hope ...

Read more

Forward Thinking: Die Empty

“I want to challenge every Kenyan to go to the cemetery and disappoint the graveyard. Die like the Apostle Paul who said I have finished my course, I have kept the faith and I have been poured out like a drink offering. There is nothing left. I am ready to die. That’s how I want to die because there is nothing else for me left to die,” ~ Dr. Myles Munroe “When you die, die like I am planning to die. ...

Read more

Please and Thank You Power

Please and Thank You Power By: James Washington Special To The NNPA From The Dallas Weekly   Have you ever thought about just thanking God for being God? I mean I know at times, I must get on His last nerve and it’s just nice to know that He forgives. One of the truths that I’ve referenced before is that Jesus’ frustration with the apostles sometimes took on a whiff of righteous indignation. After all, ...

Read more

New Galilee M.B.C. Church Celebrates 66th Anniversary

Our church was organized in the home of our founding Pastor, the Reverend Nathan Shorter on October 28, 1948.  The first church was located in the storefront at the corner of Halsted and Orchard Streets in Chicago, Illinois.  The church was called “Southern Baptist.” When we moved to 1726 N ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Scroll to top