You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 2)

Cherishing History that’s in your Attic

BY: JULIANNE MALVEAUX NNPA COLUMNIST Celebrating Black History   We gather together this month to lift up the names that have been frequently lifted, to call the roll of those African Americans who have made a difference. While some names are the tried and true names of important leaders, we need to pay as much attention to the legacies of those whose lives and contributions have been swallowed. Madame ...

Read more

Emanuel vs Garcia Run-Off April 7th

By: Naimah Latif Staff Writer Emanuel vs Garcia Run-Off April 7th Mayor Rahm Emanuel To Face  Jesus “Chuy” Garcia In An April Run-off Election Despite the frigid, below-freezing temperatures, on Election Day incumbent Mayor Rahm Emanuel and his four challengers, Bob Fioretti, Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, William “Dock” Walls and Dr. Willie Wilson, all hit the ground running, doing radio interviews, phone canvassing ...

Read more

Chicago Auto Show 2015 Features – Cars That Communicate

By: Naimah Latif Staff Writer Chicago Auto Show 2015 Features - Cars That Communicate Communication is the concept for the future in automotive designs,as displayed in this year’s Chicago Auto Show at McCormick Place, 24th and King Drive, February 14-22, 2015. On Thursday, February 12, members of the media were treated to a special preview of world introductions from  Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan. Ram and Toy ...

Read more

Black History Month: A True Supreme Court Story

By: Lyndia Grant Special to the NNPA From The Washington Informer Black History Month: A True Supreme Court Story Floyd Hill was a young boy who grew up in rural North Carolina. He dreamed that one day he would own a very large farm. Hill was born in 1907. He disregarded the extreme racism that existed in the South, and he refused to allow it to kill his dream. At age 36, his dream came true when he purchas ...

Read more

Wala Cam V-Bash A Smash

Wala Cam V-Bash A Smash Sicko Mobb Zona Man, and Big Sexy Dj Slugo Zona Man As below freezing temperatures threatened to cripple concert attendees, Wala Cam TV fans lined up in crowds for what promised to be one of the most exciting concerts events of the year. Packed with a star-studded lineup of local Chicago dancers and entertainers, Wala Cam TV showed you why they are continuing to produce Chicago’s top ...

Read more

WALA WORD – CO-STILL

WALA WORD - CO-STILL Written By: Tiffany Lebrón   CO-STILL When you think about Chicago rap legends some of the obvious MC’s come to mind like Common Sense, Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco. However with the re-emergence of the conscience rapper, one Chicago MC is promising to leave his imprint on the city he holds dear to his heart. Cordell Hunter, a.k.a CO-STILL is an emerging force who promises to bring h ...

Read more

My Awkward, Long and Tall Journey

My Awkward, Long and Tall Journey By: Jocelyn Morris Fashion & Beauty Columnist                           Who is Jmorrismua? Well if you have never met me in person, you need to know that I am over six feet tall. I am the girl who was always taller than everyone in class. The girl who outgrew her clothes and shoes within a year, every year ...

Read more

THE FEMALE SOLUTION – Homeless and Broke: How Can You Keep Your Family Together?

Homeless and Broke:  How Can You Keep Your Family Together? By Naimah Latif Columnist   In this frigid weather, there is one segment of the population that really suffers: The Homeless. Although they are in our faces every day, holding cardboard signs at expressway exits, imploring motorists to spare some change, many people feel more comfortable treating them as if they are invisible. Statistics show ...

Read more

Carrying the Burden of History – Prince Hall, First Black Abolitionist

Carrying the Burden of History - Prince Hall, First Black Abolitionist  In observance of Black History Month, I believe it is important to highlight some of those long lasting institutions and entities that have continued to serve the empowerment interests of Black America for over the past 200 years. Too often some of us forget too quickly about the historical groups and social bridges that have helped to ...

Read more

Hall of Famer Ernie Bank’s Family Cries Foul

By Charles Roughy Staff Writer   Ernie Banks Pictured with his caretaker Regina Rice    The Family of Ernie Banks have accused long time caretaker Regina Rice of jilting them out of their just due portion of the late Ernie Banks estate. According to records, in his will, Banks left all of his assets to a trust controlled by Ms.Rice. In the will Mr.Banks states that he was “making no provisions” fo ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Scroll to top