You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 25)

“DANCE” Therapy for the Soul

Women in Dance Therapy brought together women from all ages (20 to 88 years of age) Every 7 seconds an act of Domestic Violence occurs, every 2 minutes and act of sexual assault occurs. 1 in 4 teens are or will be victims of Domestic Violence. 7 of 10 adult women are or will be a victim of Domestic Violence. The City of Chicago Police Department along receives over 200,000 calls for service daily, 604 of th ...

Read more

The Green Line Experience

By Talei Thompson I was riding the Green Line train on the subway the other day, south bound headed to Bronzeville, when I noticed two beautiful sisters boarding the train. Mind you, I do have a sweet spot for beautiful voluptuous sisters but, this time it wasn’t the beauty that captured my attention. It wasn’t the dark chocolate covered skin of one, nor the sensual curvaceous figure of the other that had t ...

Read more

Black Men And Prostate Cancer

By Dianne Anderson Special to the NNPA from the Precinct Reporter Since only Black men are dying from prostate cancer earlier and at twice the rate over every other racial group, medical professionals might as well now throw out what many health officials believe is the best test for detecting prostate cancer in Black men. The debate rages on in the medical community under the recent recommendation that doc ...

Read more

Save Black Men – Get Your PSA

By Marc H. Morial NNPA Columnist “With the prevalence of prostate cancer disproportionately affecting our men, we must be vigilant to ensure aggressive testing continues for this most vulnerable population.” — Cedric M. Bright, M.D., president of the National Medical Association Last week, the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommended that healthy men should no longer take a routine ...

Read more

Horoscopes June 7 – June 13, 2012

ARIES Lover, friends, relatives are in your corner. They just have a hard time verbalizing it. Their support gives you the boost you need if you’d swallow your pride and reach out for it. Their help may not come in the form you want it, but it is in the form you need. Lucky Numbers: 10, 34, 37 TAURUS It wouldn’t hurt to be a little less independent. Depend on someone. Declare a truce. Decide that you are no ...

Read more

Word Of Mouth

The Chicago Park District and the Jazz Institute of Chicago present Jazz Cabaret: Joan Collasso 7 p.m. June 8 at Columbus Park Refectory, 5701 W. Jackson Blvd. Jazz Links students will perform during the free show before Collasso takes the stage to pay tribute to musical influences that helped shape the sound of jazz. For more information, call 312-427-1676. “SAFE NEIGHBORHOODS ARE EVERYBODY’S BUSINESS” Man ...

Read more

Horoscopes MAY 31-JUNE 6

ARIES Feather the nest. Stock up on stuff for the long haul. Cement relationships. A friend needs your support. Enjoy giving it. You will receive good news about a pal. Lucky Numbers: 13, 22, 31 TAURUS Be cautious and conservative with money. You are extremely witty this week. Allow others to enjoy your good humor. Your leadership skills are very high, and others will follow. Lucky Numbers: 14, 20, 44 GEMIN ...

Read more

Following a Trusted Leader Out of Egypt

FIRST WORDS Last week we dealt with the final lesson on Joseph as he died and passed on the inheritance that was spoken to Abraham.  He told his brethren that God was going to visit them even though he would not be present.  This week we are blessed to see once again how God takes care of his own, the infamous story of how the children of Israel sojourned through the Red Sea is the lesson on display, let’s ...

Read more

Buick Verano

By Frank S. Washington DETROIT – A 2012 Buick Verano was delivered to me on a Friday and I was headed down Interstate 75 to Toledo on Saturday. My point is that I got a chance to test drive Buick’s entry level sedan in several traffic environments. I had a full load. Two 11-year-olds and a four-year-old occupied the back seats and the mother of one my backseat passengers was in the front.  Although all of t ...

Read more

Wanda Sykes is Laughing at Life

Special to the NNPA from the Houston Style Magazine The usual outspoken, controversial comedian Wanda Sykes has been a lot quieter. She has been not so opinionated on the issues and not so vocal in the public eye. What gives? Her twin daughters. Sykes is becoming a family woman, happily spending her time catching up on the happenings on Sesame Street versus being glue to contributors on CNN. “I use to be re ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

The forecast for 60644 by WP Wunderground

Scroll to top