You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 29)

60 Pastors Adopt Strategy to Reduce City Violence

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012, The Leaders Network, a clergy-based disaster relief and social justice advocacy organization, held an emergency coalition meeting with 60 ministers and pastors from different communities and cultures to strategize how the faith  community can respond to the escalating violence in Chicago neighborhoods. The meeting was held at the Greater St. John Bible Church located on 1256 N. Wa ...

Read more

We Need A Movement

The women’s Council of Community Intercession established by 5th Senate District Democratic candidate Dr. Patricia Van Pelt-Watkins, held its first meeting Monday, July 10, 2012 at Wallace Catfish Corner. The citywide group of women rallying around the need for bold and immediate action regarding the issue of public safety, human rights and self-determination. Dr. Watkins declared that we need a Movement. T ...

Read more

Providence St. Mel First Annual Alumni Picnic

Providence St. Mel has a track record that speaks for itself. For the last thirty four-years 100% of all Providence St. Mel graduating seniors have been accepted into four year universities. It takes extreme planning and coordination to gather such a bunch of alumni for fun. On Saturday July 14, 2012 Providence St. Mel Alumni Association hosted the First Annual Providence St. Mel All Classic Picnic. Hundred ...

Read more

Samuel Administers Justice-Rescued

Key Verse: “And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.” (1 Samuel 7:3)   FIRST WORDS… This week’s lesson comes on the heels of our Independence Day celebration, ...

Read more

Congress Is Out Of Order

By Gary L. Flowers NNPA Columnist Last week, in the latest example of political posturing, the House of Representatives’ Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt for not producing certain documents relating to the “Fast and Furious” program of providing guns to drug gangs and tracking their use in Mexico. The White House, meanwhile, cited executive pri ...

Read more

Horoscopes June 28 – July 4, 2012

ARIES Here’s a chance to get to the bottom of an issue that’s been bothering you for quite some time. This week you’ll feel objective enough to focus on the situation, and not the person who may unwittingly have caused the situation. TAURUS Information flows smoothly to and from you this week. You are in your element as communications come and go. You’ll learn much as you listen and observe others. Be easy ...

Read more

ASK GWEN “I’m trying to get a law degree. Husband won’t help!

Dear Gwendolyn: I am one year away from receiving my law degree, but my husband won’t help.  I was in my first year of law school when we met.  Six months after we met I got pregnant.  Getting through the second and third year of school was extremely difficult, but I made it. Three months ago at a party, given by my husband’s co-worker, someone asked my husband were we getting a divorce once I am awarded my ...

Read more

Supreme Court Hands Obama a Huge Health Care Victory

By George E. Curry Editor-in-Chief NNPA News Service WASHINGTON (NNPA) – With conservative Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. providing a surprise supporting vote, the United States Supreme Court gave President Barack Obama a major victory Thursday by upholding the constitutionality of the Affordable Health Care Act. In the most watched Supreme Court case since Bush v. Gore in 2000, the justices upheld the ...

Read more

Chicago is The Ultimate “Too City”

By Marshall Hatch, Senior Pastor New Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church [caption id="attachment_1395" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Left to Right Kenneth Ayers, Ke'nya Ayer And Jacorey Allen"][/caption] Chicago is fast reclaiming the title of America ’s capital of murder and mayhem.  In the last three weekends, the city had over one-hundred shootings and eighteen murders. Chicago has becom ...

Read more

Bradley Shocks Boxing World With Controversial Decision Win Over Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao, right, and Timothy Bradley during their WBO world welterweight title fight Saturday, June 9, 2012, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo) Boxing fans around the world were shocked as African-American pro boxer Timothy Bradley defeated Pilipino superstar Manny Pacquiao June 9 for the WBO Welterweight title by way of a split decision from the judges. Analysts and fight fans were surprised that the 28-year-o ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Scroll to top