You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 3)

Lupita Nyong’o is the New Face for Lancome

By Walter Greene Special to the NNPA from the New York Carib News Actress Lupita Nyong’o, who rose to fame after winning the Oscar Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Patsey in the award winning “12 Years a Slave” has also risen to the top of the fashion ladder, as she has in the world of film. The much sought after actress was just named the new Face of Lancome Cosmetics, joining a select gro ...

Read more

The 21st Annual Garfield Park Basketball Program

League Coach and Keynote Speaker Shawn Harrington, 38, an assistant boys basketball coach at Marshall Metro High School, told about his recent encounter with a crazed gunman that left him paralyzed while shielding his daughter. The 21st Annual Garfield Park Basketball Program will serve approximately 200 young people between the ages of 13-18 All leagues are free. The program provides youth and teenagers th ...

Read more

My Sons Keeper

By Ron Busby, Sr. NNPA Columnist I must admit, being a single father of two Black boys isn’t easy, especially since my wife passed away 12 years ago. From breaking up fights, to discussing college and career choices, I’ve learned that being a good father means more than just “being there.” Decisions are made, things happen, but despite the inevitable bumps in the road of parenthood, I am always proud to see ...

Read more

HEALTH STATUS: Insured and Looking to Develop A Doctor Patient Relationship

By Harvey Potts "Under the Affordable Care Act" "many   individuals    will   enter   into the healthcare system for the first time with insurance coverage. For some  of  you,  it  will  be  your  first time  to  have  insurance  coverage that truly covers your illness or disease.   Others   will  continue   to enjoy  their  health  care  as  usual. In  either  scenario,   many  of  you will begin  the phas ...

Read more

‘Gainful Employment’ Rule Throws Black Students for a Loss

By Harry C. Alford NNPA Columnist Last week, the Obama Administration declared war on 1 million underserved students pursuing higher education throughout the United States. While the president and first lady launched their campaign to make it easier for low-income minority students to access college, the Department of Education has launched an unprecedented assault on this same community through a new propo ...

Read more

Michelle Clark HIgh School presents The 1st annual Black History Museum Project

The 1st annual Black History Museum project was the brainchild of Shilanda Hall, a Parent Advocate employee who works for the “Center for College Access and Success” formerly known as the Chicago Teachers’ Center of Northeastern Illinois University. Michele Clark’s counselor, Ms. Joyce Jordan and the program Manger of GEAR UP, Rhonda Thomas spearheaded the idea of showcasing the Michele Clark students’ tale ...

Read more

’12 Years a Slave’ Wins Oscar for Best Film; Lupita Nyong’o Nabs Best Supporting Actress Award

Special to the NNPA from The Washington Informer Lupita Nyong’o won the Academy Award for best supporting actress on March 2 for her performance in “12 Years a Slave,” her first role in a feature film. The captivating 2013 drama “12 Years a Slave,” a harrowing tale of a freed Black man kidnapped into slavery in the 1800s, won the Academy Award for best picture on Sunday night in Los Angeles, capping an even ...

Read more

Whitaker’s Wonderful Wit and Wisdom

by Kam Williams Special to the NNPA from the Afro-American Newspaper Forest Whitaker, in a scene from his new film Repentance, portrays the grief of his character, Angel Sanchez. Photo by Patti Perrett (Courtesy Photo/Rottentomatoes.com) Forest Whitaker is a distinguished artist and humanist. He is the founder of PeaceEarth Foundation, co-founder and chair of the International Institute for Peace and since ...

Read more

New Academy President Pushes For More Diverse Voting Members

This year’s nominees are diverse, but the people who vote for the Oscars are not. Cheryl Boone In fact, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences continues to be an exclusive club that is 93 percent white, 76 percent male, with an average age of 63, “I think people assumed the Academy was pretty homogeneous, and it turned out it was even more so than the worst assumptions,” says journalist John Horn. ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Our weather forecast is from WP Wunderground

Scroll to top