You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 5)

A Mother’s Mission: Combating Domestic Violence – Part 2

By: Mary L. Datcher Staff Writer               Struggling on the financial side and seeking assistance; Nova soon realized she was pregnant with their second child-Ava. Although, Loni felt that the support of family would be enough to sustain and help Nova through the hurdles she faced as a single Mom; the decision to approach Curry for child support was necessary. At the ...

Read more

Ald. Thompson and Obudsman opens third school on South Side

Alderman JoAnn Thompson celebrates with Ombudsman Chicago students and staff during a ribbon cutting ceremony honoring the grand opening of Ombudsman’s third Chicago Options School. Ombudsman Chicago offers teens a second chance at achieving academic success and building a bright future as they work toward earning a CPS diploma. Ombudsman offers open enrollment throughout the school year and i ...

Read more

A Mother’s Mission: Combating Domestic Violence

By: Mary L. Datcher Staff Writer                                       It was a day that no mother or father ever wants to experience when they receive a call informing them that their child has been murdered. The moment that child enters the world; most parents take on the responsibility of protector, nurturer, p ...

Read more

Ebola Enters America, Continues to Wreak Havoc in Africa

According to the World Health Organization, the Ebola case fatality rate is around 50 percent, however rates have reached 90 percent in previous outbreaks. The incubation period from time of infection to manifestation of symptoms is 2 to 21 days. Typically, the infection is spread via direct contact through broken skin or mucous membranes. If one comes into contact with the bodily fluids such as swea ...

Read more

Black Women Challenge NFL on Domestic Violence

By: Jazelle Hunt NNPA Columnist “We saw that all the people accused and arrested were Black men, yet the victims we always see put on TV are White women. We don’t want to see the league take the approach that their only obligation is to turn players over to the criminal justice system.” -Elsie Scott,Director-Ronald W. Walters Leadership & Public Policy Ctr. at Howard Univ. As the National Football Leagu ...

Read more

Keeping My Brother’s Keeper

By: Rep. Frederica S. Wilson NNPA COLUMNIST     All of us must do our part if we are to succeed in this monumental endeavor to help our children achieve their full potential. In 2012, 17-year-old Ivins Rosier broke into Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Robert Boody’s West Palm Beach home. Ivins shot Boody’s 5-year-old German Shepherd. Five days later, the dog was euthanized. That same year, 17-year- ...

Read more

New Online Video Promotion Makes You A Star and Pays Cash Money

RazzmatazzTV.com’s $5 Holla program promotes businesses by offering a documentary style online video capturing their employees and customers experiencing their services or products.  The show’s creator, Darlene M. Washington states, “We are excited to offer new and innovative ways to enhance online promotion.  Click on ads fight for your attention. The $5 Holla is an entertaining online video show inside of ...

Read more

ASK ALMA – Want Back In

Want Back In Dear Alma,  I’ve come to my senses and want to be back in the relationship I just left for no good reason. But I’m afraid my ex, who is very concerned with self-respect, will not allow herself to forgive me and get back with me again. How do I show that I’m prepared to do whatever it takes, until she feels comfortable taking me back?     I’d suggest you start a list of ...

Read more

2015 Mazda6 Grand Touring

Let’s get straight to it: the 2015 Mazda6 may be the best looking midsize family sedan around. Yes, the current generation has been on sale for one model year but it is just beginning to get some traction in the market. The four-door Mazda6 was sleek, it had sweeping lines that made it look longer and it had crisp creases. The car sat low to the ...

Read more

Death of a Renaissance Man: Geoffrey Holder

Baron Samedi played by Geoffrey Holder in 1973 007’s Live and Let Die. His voice arrived first, deep and sonorous, prefiguring a man of enormous life and vitality, and such was the often imposing but impressive visage and physique of Geoffrey Holder, who many remember mostly from his promotion of Seven-Up “Uncola” commercials.  But the multitalented Holder was much more than a pitchman.  This artist ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Scroll to top