You Are Here: Home » Community (Page 7)

Denzel Does Vigilante in Adaptation of Eighties TV Series – The Equalizer

By Kam Williams Entertainment Columnist The Equalizer On the surface, Robert McCall (Denzel Washington) is a perfectly-pleasant, hail fellow well met. By day, the affable widower who is employed as a sales associate at a hardware superstore where he jokes with co-workers who call him “Pops.” Evenings, he retires to a modest apartment in a working-class, Boston community, although bouts of insomnia often hav ...

Read more

Common’s AAHH Fest: Brings the City -Together in – Celebration of HIP HOP

By: Mary L. Datcher Staff Writer Brings the City -Together in - Celebration of HIP HOP                                                                                             ...

Read more

An Obama’s Journey My Odyssey of Self-Discovery across Three Cultures

By Kam Williams Columnist “’My family will hate me for this book, baby,’ I explained [to my wife]. She hugged me and assured me they would not, while no doubt sensing I was right.”   Later that day in Beijing, my brother replied to an interviewer’s question about our meeting: ‘I don’t know him very well. I met him for the first time only two years ago.’ Hearing myself referred to in the third person li ...

Read more

By Pamela Jones Staff Writer                                               Recently Miller Lite hosted the Miller Lite Tap the Future® , Great Friends Great Ventures competition in Chicago at the Miller Coors headquarters. In attendance were the top five winning finalist and key communit ...

Read more

New Greater True Light – Summer Food/Camp Program

2014 BLOCK CLUB PARTY                         Our Summer Food/Camp Program is designed with YOUR child in mind.  Often while at work, parents wonder if their children are eating properly and being entertained wisely.  The summer Food Service Program was instituted to provide nutritious meals and provide activities for increased participation, to ch ...

Read more

Providence Catholic defeats Mount Carmel 33-14

By Andre Hampton: Contributing Sports Writer           Providence Catholic vs. Mount Carmel was the Xfinity game of the week and for a good reason the two catholic school programs have produced 21 state titles Mt.Carmel (12) and Providence (9). The battle of the catholic league state powers however proved to be lopsided in the favor of Providence as they posted a decisive 33-14 vict ...

Read more

Prissi’s Corner – For The Love of Thrifting

Prissi’s Corner - For the love of Thrifting by Priscilla Powell Columnist             For The Love of Thrifting First things first, I love to thrift, its more than a hobby; it’s a lifestyle for me that I shout proudly to the heavens. A savvy golden haired lady at a green line station once told me to stop telling people I shop at thrift stores, and suggested I call my rare score ...

Read more

FERGUSON:

Expectations, Activism, and Hope for America by Paatrick Easley Youth Columnist     When I first heard about the death of Michael Brown at the hands of a Ferguson, Missouri police officer, I wasn’t too surprised. Unfortunately, neither were too any others who are familiar with the struggles of minorities in America. It is a known fact that minorities, African Americans in particular, are much more ...

Read more

Avery Sunshine – Lights up the Music Experience

by: Mary L. Datcher Staff Writer                     The Music Experience continued their 25th Anniversary series with R&B singer and musician, Avery Sunshine. In Chicago, to promote the new CD, “The Sun Room”, Bronzeville’s Room 43 was packed with loyal fans and music lovers. Sharing the stage with The Music Experience’s founder and host, Dedry Jones th ...

Read more

THE RELIGION CORNER: If It Is to Be…

by Lyndia Grant Special to the NNPA from The Washington Informer               “If it is to be, it’s up to me.” — Dr. Calvin W. Rolark Schools across the Washington Metropolitan Area opened recently; a fresh, new opportunity for parents to get it right this year! We must work diligently to bring the educational level of our children in the African-American communities up t ...

Read more

© 2014 Powered By The Windy City Word

Scroll to top